What do I do if English is not my first language?

If English is not your first language, please note that to satisfactorily complete your course, you need to be able to speak and write English at an acceptable level. Applicants need to provide evidence through one of the following methods, to show that they can successfully study:

Applicants from visa assessment level 1 & 2 countries, for whom English is a second language, should demonstrate their English language skills with:

1. An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) result of an average of 5.5 on the General test with no individual score below 5.0;

2. Other equivalent assessment (for example: TOEFL examination, Onsung Placement Test, (English for Theology Level 2 required) Cambridge English: FCE, PTE Academic, etc); or

3. A copy of English results/ transcripts from a secondary school, English school or University. Please note that transcripts must be accompanied by an official letter by the institution outlining how their grading system (and your marks) relate to IELTS. 

 Due to Immigration requirements, visa assessment level 3 & 4 countries must prove their English proficiency with one of the following methods: 

  • IELTS (minimum score 5.5)
  • TOEFL iBT (minimum score 46)
  • TOEFL PBT (minimum score 527) 
  • PTE Academic (minimum score 42)
  • CAE (minimum score 47)
  • Providing evidence of English study in one of the following countries for 5 years:
    Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States
  • Providing evidence that within two years of your application date you have successfully completed in Australia:
    • A foundation course
    • A Senior Secondary Certificate of Education
    • A substantial part of a Certificate IV or higher-level qualification, from the Australian Qualifications Framework. 

The most common evidence of English Proficiency we receive is the IELTS and TOEFL exams. We recommend visiting their websites to find out more information regarding the tests. 

For more information on these requirements please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s website: once you are on the page simply go to ‘Eligibility’ and then ‘Student’. Continue to scroll down until you reach ‘English Proficiency’.

Have more questions? Submit a request